I’m all into personalization and self expression. I mean, why not? It’s a great way to make something your own and when you add a monogram it’s definitely “all yours”.
But, honestly, since I’ve gotten married and taken my husbands last name I ABSOLUTELY HATE MY MONOGRAM! I used to be HH – Hallie Hurwitz – kind of cool, the whole double initial thing, but now, Hallie Abrams turns into HA, like ha, ha, ha – and, no, it’s not funny. Even worse, our marital monogram, Greg and Hallie Abrams, becomes HAG – and, I’m not trying to be a hag, but, there’s not really a lot to love with HAG plastered on your bed, or towels, or dinnerware – you get the picture. So for the past 20 years (yep, hubby and I are celebrating the BIG 20 next month) I have pretty much been monogram free. I’ll for sure take the man over the monogram, any day – but it’s nice to have some way to personalize your stuff…
And then, I was talking with Elana (she’s the closet whisperer – aka, the organization and folding guru of the TWC team) and she shared a great story about her daughter… They were having lunch and Elana saw a woman carrying the most incredible monogrammed handbag. She told her daughter that if Daddy wanted to maybe buy her a present that that’s what she wanted. After listening to her request, her daughter made the most eye opening point. “Mom.” she said. “If you get that bag, or any bag with your initials permanently painted on it, I can NEVER use it. Our initials aren’t the same”. Brilliant for a 10 year old, I must say!
Basically, it all got me thinking. How can one personalize a handbag so it’s your own, even if you hate your monogram, like me, OR if your daughter, mother, sister, or friend wants to borrow or inherit your bag, so it’s not permanently branded? Well, lo and behold…there are many ways to make your handbag your own. Or even update the one you currently have. Here are a few ideas to make YOUR bag YOURS.
My 10 fave ways to Personalize your Purse:
- Crew’s Purse-onalize line makes it as easy as 1. 2. 3. Start with the bag…
3. And, finally a scarf!
4. Want to give your current cross body bag an instant face lift? Pop on a new strap. These are Ah-Mazing!
5. Don’t want to invest in the real deal? CLE peeps, visit Knuth’s for their discounted version. Out of towners – they ship!!
6. This one is such a stud – get it?!? And the price gives you a lot of bang for the buck.
7. Pom Poms add a splash of color to any handbag. Choose a few to make it your own.
8. I love when fashion and convenience meet in the middle – and this one looks cool too!
9. HELL YES! Anya’s sticker collection isn’t just for your handbag. Try them on your plain white sneakers, computer, phone, etc…
10. This post wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t mention Fendi’s STRAP YOU collection. They are amazingly beautiful. The price points are not for the faint at heart, but they will make your heart swoon. (Stick with J.Crew’s version if you feel faint.)
So, there you have it. My 10 favorite ways to update, and make your handbag your own personal carryall, but still share it if you’re in the mood.
Happy Purse (or Pocket Book if you’re from the east coast) Personalizing Folks!
Taking the Stress out of getting dressed – #TheWardrobeConsultant
In the spirit of full disclosure, I sometimes use affiliate links, which means that when you click links and purchase items, in some, but not all cases, I may receive a nominal (meaning pennies NOT dollars) referral commission. You will NEVER pay more when buying a product through my link.
Plus, when you order through my links (or even just click on them), it helps me see what you all are interested in and therefore be more mindful of you, my readers, when thinking about what to highlight in future blog posts. Thank you in advance for your support!
header image (via)