A few weeks ago the original Cleveland Stylista, Danielle Weiner posted this on my FB wall…
“Blog post idea… Have you checked out Club Monaco since they were acquired by Ralph Lauren!?! My new fave shopping destination-kinda obsessed.”
The truth is I hadn’t… There aren’t any in the CLE and when I’m traveling, they weren’t on my list of HAVE TO stop at shops, in fact, my memory of Club Monoco was of it being a slightly upscale (and pricier) Banana Republic, so, kind of, why bother??
But, acquired by Ralph Lauren and a rec from Dani, NOW my interest was piqued… And then, on Friday, I was with a new client who had just returned from Toronto and picked up a few pieces from guess where??? Yup, Club Monoco! So I did a little checking and this is what I found…
First a quick history – Club Monoco was founded in the 1980’s by Joe Mimran (the same Joe that founded Joe Fresh) and was actually sold to Ralph Lauren in 1999 (so Dani, that’s not where the change is coming from – but you’re spot on that there is a change happening). RL recently brought in a new CEO, Stefan Larsson, who was president of the Old Navy unit at GAP and he is supposedly shaking things up in a BIG way…
But enough about that… what about THE CLOTHES?!?
After looking thru EVERYTHING on the site – ’cause I did the leg work (or mouse work), so you don’t have to! These are my thoughts:
- The brands they carry are great! Less private label and more emerging designers and tried and true brands.
- Things are classic but with a twist – very wearable.
- Sales are good – the prices can be higher because of the whole designer vs private label thing but if you’re a sale shopper you can make out well.
- Limited quantity is listed so you don’t waste your time falling in LOVE with a piece that only has 1 left
Here are the pieces currently in my shopping cart (and hoping to actually make it to check out):
- OMG this jumpsuit! To.Die.For! And the back is even better than the front (which is gooood)!
2. How fun is this tank? The side detail!!!
3. This little sweater is perfect for cool summer nights and will transition perfectly into fall. And, how much do you love the tie-front detail??
5. These specs are everything!
6. If allowed, I might possibly wear a moto jacket everyday! And finding a red one (in fabric, not leather btw – so it’s more comfortable and drapes better) is like finding the holy grail of motos!
7. This dress is only available in limited sizes but it’s too perfect to not post!
9. Suede + Navy + Tassel = A perfect everyday sandal
11. This sneaker is made in Aix-En-Provence and so Ohh La La!
12. This gauzy button up can read dressy, tucked into high waisted trousers, or very casual when thrown over a swim suit – either way it’s super cool.
13. This LWD also comes as a LBD – and the back bow details and subtle A-line shape make it an effortless but still special dress.
14. This boxy t-shirt with frayed hem will be a closet go-to, the shape is perfect (feels kinda cropped but no belly shows) and the fray adds that bit of cool girl edge.
15. If you had to pick one piece of jewelry to add for fall, I’d recommend picking a choker – and this one is delicate but doesn’t get lost.
16. Ohhh this jumpsuit has it all – wide legs, cold shoulders and lining (so your underthings won’t show!!)
18. Look at the sleeves on this blazer – LOVE!
19. Take your boho chic to the beach with this AWESOME bag. Pricey yes, but totally wow worthy!
20. I’m totally diggin the shape and feel of these pants – wide leg, fluid, and pull on! They’re like hip grandma pants!
Soooo, I’m thinking I might need to edit down my shopping cart before hitting BUY – but they’re all so great, how’s a girl to decide?!? Do you have any favorites? I’d love to know.
Thanks for reading friends – and Happy Club Monaco-ing!