Denim Jackets are a Wardrobe Staple.
Denim jackets or jean jackets, whatever you call them, they’re the one thing both of us, Hallie AND Elana, have had in our wardrobes since we were like 8 years old. Back in the day, Hallie had one that was embroidered with “Do The Hustle” Total 70’s child, right? Maybe colors and washes have changed a little over the years but our denim jackets have been a constant workhorse no matter the date, or year. And, it doesn’t matter how old you get, it’s a tried and true piece and a serious wardrobe must have.
But here’s the thing, just like denim on the bottom, denim on the top changes too. To keep up with the times, the denim jacket can end up being long, short, frayed, dark, light, stitched, or embellished. But a good old fashioned lighter wash jean jacket ain’t goin’ nowhere. They always work no matter the year, month, or day. They’re also great for dressing down any outfit that feels to dressed up, or just simply for keeping you warm.
Here’s how to wear them.
Layer it, under a blazer or with a sweatshirt or hooded sweater on colder days.
Wear it over a dress on warmer days.
Wear it with a pair of black pants and a t-shirt for an in between dressy and casual look.
There are a few types of denim jackets that will give you maximum versatility in your outfit pairings... Hallie has 4 jean jackets in her rotation…Different styles receive more action depending on the season, style or vibe. But they all are pretty classic and will not go out of style.
The 5 Best Denim Jacket Styles
1. A classic light wash. This is the style to start with as it is a classic and we consider it a basic building block to a versatile wardrobe.
2. A cropped denim jacket to wear with skirts and dresses. Hallie found hers in the boy’s department. What is important here is where the jacket hits. Just like a dress cardigan, where the jean jacket hits with a dress or skirt is what makes or breaks the outfit. It needs to hit between the lowest rib and the hip and be slightly cropped to look stylish and not frumpy.
3. An overstyled denim jacket. Once you have the classic and cropped you can start adding styles that are “more fun”.
4. A new longer style trucker jacket. This is the new kid on the block. The last few seasons we’ve seen jean jackets getting longer. These proportions look good with a skinny pant but also great over a slim slip dress.
5. If we were going to add a new jean jacket to our collection for Fall 2018 it would be one with some shearling detail. It could be real or faux fur, but it’s the combo of denim and creamy fuzz that makes it look great.
How many denim jackets do you own? And if you were going to add one this season, what style would you pick? Seriously, let us know in the comments…
Since the purpose of this blog is to take the stress out of getting dressed, we try to make it easy on you by sharing shoppable links (accessed by clicking the PINK words or the actual photo) with awesome readers like you. We want to let you know, some of those contain affiliate links for products. There is absolutely no additional cost to you if you take action (click, purchase, subscribe) with one of these links. As a result, we will earn some coffee money from your click. But we promise to drink it while creating more ad-free, helpful content like this.
Photo: Molly Nook