The Accessories That’ll Take Your Outfits from Good to Great this Season.
When we’re with clients we often use food analogies to describe the various elements of a wardrobe. It’s either because we have ferocious appetites lately, or food analogies are just totally relatable. Let’s stick to the later. A few weeks ago we talked about trends in relation to adding a pinch of salt to your cooking (remember?). And, this week we’re gonna talk about accessories, the parsley of an outfit…
The Parsley Factor
What relates to parsley you ask? Accessories! Because just like a meal, your outfit can be great but it often needs that finishing touch, like the parsley on a plate, to make it feel finished. You know how you can serve the exact same recipe either in the pyrex dish you cooked it in or take the time to plate it and add a garnish to the plate? And the plated version gets more lovin’ from the family? Well, that’s the parsley factor… and it really does make a difference.
The final 2 items on our “What to Get List” are the parsley of the outfit – the accessories that add that extra oomph. This week we’re talking accessories, jewelry specifically. Hoop earrings and acetate jewelry (also called resin or lucite) and they’re what to add for Fall 2018. They are both easy to wear, and current and literally look good on everyone.
Now hoop earrings were never “out” per se but now there’s something that feels really fresh and new about them. Hallie pulled out a pair she’s had for 15 years and had not touched for at least the last 8 years – but they’ve been part of her daily uniform lately. Accessories make the outfit!
Styling notes for hoop earrings:
- We’re typically fans of hoops that close all the way around. Not for looks but for practicality – There’s nothing worse than your earring getting stuck on your sweater or scarf and having to keep your head all cock sided until you untangle the mess.
- In the past, we’ve told clients if they’re wearing a big earring to go more delicate with the necklace. That’s the beauty of the hoop. It packs punch but is airy enough it can still play nicely with a statement necklace.
- Ideally, you want the hoop to hit at the bottom of your jaw bone or above. But if you’re going for maximum impact and want a huge hoop, have the middle of the hoop hit at your jawline.
We started noticing this trend gaining traction over the summer and it is still going strong. Again, as accessories go, it was never “out”, so if you have older pieces of acetate, resin or lucite jewelry – especially those inherited from a mom/grandma or picked up at a flea market – now is the time to wear them!
Styling notes for Acetate Jewelry:
- If you can’t wear heavy earrings, THESE ARE THE EARRINGS FOR YOU! They pack a lot of punch but are typically lightweight.
- Do not wear a matching statement acetate earring and necklace at the same time, it’ll look like a Mrs. Roper costume (which actually would be a GREAT Halloween costume if you’re looking…)
- Acetate jewelry can be mixed with any metal (gold, silver, brass) and look cool. So don’t overthink it – just mix away.
- And, thank you to Elana for thinking of this tip. If you wear glasses, opt for metal or frameless versions when wearing acetate earrings. You do not want the glasses and earrings competing with one another.
Our Favorite Custom Lucite Bracelets! Wear Your Words.
Ok, full disclosure, Lindsay Flack at Halo-Heart Designs is one of our favorite humans ever and a good friend. But forgetting all that, she is one crazy talented artist and her lucite bracelets are not only on trend but packed with meaning. Choose from one of Lindsay and her business partner, Amanda Foley’s existing designs OR create your own. And follow them on Instagram to see all their latest custom designs. They can even take the handwriting of a loved one and put it on a bracelet so that person is always with you. Elana just created some for a special friend and they’re SOOOOOO amazing!
Use code HALLIE15 at check out to save on your Halo-Heart order.
So Just to Recap…
These last couple of weeks we’ve been talking about the pieces to add, here and there, that when added to what you already own, will make it feel fresh for Fall/Winter 2018/19.
To be clear:
- You do not need to like or add all of these trends, we are just translating what we see happening in fashion and showing you how to pull it off IF you want to.
- A little goes a long way. Don’t go overboard on any of these trends, add just a bit.
- If it doesn’t speak to you, don’t invest in it. We always try to offer a lower priced option so you can test it out because sometimes it’s a gotta try in order to know kind of thing. But at the end of the day, you should only buy what you love and what fits your style and life.
Thanks for reading along! And a HUGE thank you to those of you that participated in our reader survey! Your answers really gave us insight as to what you want to see here in the coming months so THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
Photo: Molly Nook
Since the purpose of this blog is to take the stress out of getting dressed, we try to make it easy on you by sharing shoppable links (accessed by clicking the PINK words or the actual photo) with awesome readers like you. We want to let you know, some of those contain affiliate links for products. There is absolutely no additional cost to you if you take action (click, purchase, subscribe) with one of these links. As a result, we will earn some coffee money from your click. But we promise to drink it while creating more ad-free, helpful content like this.